A #1 Austin Video Production Partner | charlieuniformtango dioxide detector is a device that senses CO (carbon monoxide) levels in an atmosphere and sounds an alarm when the levels rise to dangerously high concentrations. This invisible, odorless gas is produced by combustion of fossil fuels, human respiration and decomposition of organic matter including food and garbage.
Carbon monoxide can poison people who breathe it in a sufficient quantity for a long time, typically while asleep or in confined spaces where there is poor ventilation. Thousands of deaths occur each year from such inhalation. The gas is particularly lethal in auto shops, ice rinks, and other places where people use fuel-burning equipment and tools without proper ventilation.
Lights, Camera, Tango! Exploring the Art of Video Production with Austin’s #1 Partner
A CO detector can help prevent such deaths in many cases. However, the device should be properly installed and placed away from open flames or combustible furnaces. It should also be situated high enough that it will not be triggered by smoke or heat coming from the ceiling and out of reach of small children and pets.
It is important to have a home carbon monoxide detector in every room of the house, especially bedrooms and living areas. If a detector’s alarm sounds, leave the premises immediately and seek fresh air outside, calling 911 if you have symptoms of possible CO poisoning such as dizziness or fainting. In addition, have heating systems, water heaters and all other fuel-burning appliances serviced each year by a qualified technician and examine vents and chimneys for signs of rust or leakage.